Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Pollo Loco!

©Raj Rao
Let's talk fried chicken. Being born and brought up in Malaysia, my choices for where I could go for some fried chicken were pretty limited. It was either hitting up some mom and pop shop or rely on good ole KFC... Kentucky Fried Chicken that is. I am still amazed at how many people have no idea what KFC stands for. Now, even though the menu items are pretty similar, I think KFC in Malaysia tastes much better than the KFC here in the States. Sorry, the food guru has spoken. Oh and Malaysian KFC doesn't freak out when I order sky juice*. I'll give you a moment to work that one out, Ace.


©Raj Rao
Anyway, I digress. I recently discovered a fried chicken joint that has the colonel beat and it's called Pollo Campero. This Guatemala-based restaurant has been around since the 70's but did not venture into the US until 2002.


The fried chicken has a rich latin twist with well coated spices and seasonings. The skin has that perfect colour and crispness while the meat underneath remains moist. It's a taste that you will not forget. 


They serve corn tortillas with each order. You can be like me and make your own lil taco with the chicken and some of the home made salsa that they have at the store.  The best part about this place besides the chicken are the sides. They include yucca fries which are made from thick cut yucca root that has been fried to a rich golden brown. You can also get fried plantains which have the perfect balance of sweetness and tartness or you can opt for spanish rice or beans. True to their Mexican roots, they serve flan for dessert.


©Raj Rao
When it comes to beverages you can either get soda if you are boring and every-day, or you can be a Maverick and get your choice between Jamaica© which is an hibiscus-based drink that is mildly tart and sweet, or Tamarindo© which is a tamarind-based drink.

Take my word for it and look for a Pollo Campero around your area and go now. If you like fried chicken you will definitely love this place.

Food guru is never wrong.....

1 comment:

  1. I remember when I went to Pollo C. it is exactly as you say it is!! It was awesome and honestly the best fried chicken I've ever had, no joke. Keep the blogs rolling man!

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews